Solar Hot Water
Solar Hot Water & Solar Water Heating Systems
How Does Solar Hot Water Work? Here are the key items that convert the sun’s heat to hot water in your home.
The sun heats the solar panel.
Many systems operate on a timer so that the system is in operation when the sun is in a position to heat the water for your hot water system.
When the solar hot water system is operating, the water is sent through the solar panel to absorb the heat from the sun.
The circulation module transfers the heated water from the solar panels to storage in your hot water tank.
The solar heated water is available in your hot water tank for all existing hot water needs (including laundry, dishes and bathing).
When not in operation the water in the solar collectors is stored in the drain-back tank to prevent any chance for the water to freeze.
Solar Hot Water Benefits Include:
- You may reduce your water heating bill by as much as 50%.
- Solar hot water is environmentally friendly. You can make a difference by helping to reduce greenhouse emissions by decreasing your dependency on your electric or gas water heater.
- Solar power is the cleanest, safest and quietest source of energy.
- Solar hot water systems have the lowest operational costs (energy is free from the sun).
- Low maintenance costs (perhaps the lowest of all hot water heating systems).
- Longer lifespan due to fewer moving parts and low corrosion.
Solar collectors for heating water are significantly more efficient at capturing the sun’s energy and converting it to usable power than photovoltaic (PV) systems. Please do not confuse solar hot water with solar energy for electrical power generation as solar collection for heating hot water is more efficient than solar collection for electrical power.
A solar hot water system will add value to your home.
Additionally, you may qualify for Federal or State Tax Credits.
A solar hot water system will extend the expected life of your residential hot water tank by dramatically reducing scaling.